MIAM

MIAM

Sunday 6 October 2013

The Clothes That Men Admire

I had a late start this morning, it was 9.30 when I rolled out of my pit.  Partly due to my bro's birthday celebrations last night, drinking cider on top of bolly and partly because I had only three and a half hours sleep after my night shift on Friday night.

I dragged my weary arse out of bed yesterday at lunchtime for a jumble sale at the local scout hut, hotly rumoured to be a good 'un. My 14 year old niece Emily came along and when we got there we were astonished...at least sixty people were in the queue ahead of us, cars abandoned on grass verges and at bus stops and marshals in attendance herding the gathering throng towards the door. I briefed with Em with Vix's jumble sale rules and armed with this information she conducted herself like a pro. I'm no label junkie but there were some high end threads there, not just Primani tat, Janet Reger, Betty Barclay, John Rocha to name a few.  Here's my haul.

  Top row-60's tartan maxi 30p, linen print skirt 30p, brown velvet jacket 30p
Bottom row-leather loafers 50p, denim jacket 30p, retro handbag £1

The denim jacket is not a keeper and although I like the velvet jacket it is a smidge too large but SIL has her eye on it.  The linen skirt will be put away for next summer and the bargain of the year - a voluminous Susan Barry vintage maxi needs some alteration. (so I won't feel like a galleon in full sail!)  I was amazed to find this vintage piece and shamefully snatched it from an eight year old boy who was viewing it with a strange curiosity. You can't quite read all of the label here but the slogan 'The clothes that men admire' caused a snigger.  Not entirely accurate either as in my experience most men couldn't give a toss about what women wear and are rather more interested in getting them out of clothes.


Em bagged herself some Topshop skinny jeans, a brand new handbag, some flirty shorts, a Julien McDonald for Debenhams cardi, five GCSE revision guides and was 'well pleased' to score some serious bargains. I also found this old BEA bag, with my airline background I just had to have it even tho' it is a bit minging. 

vintage airline bag £1

I reckon with a clean up, it could fetch a few quid?  I also grabbed myself a few books at 20p each.


 The sun has put in an appearance today so I have been out in the garden wielding my Black & Decker trimming the hedge back, the lawns need doing too so I'd best get back out there.  It's times like this I can see the attractions of a bloke,.... ooerr sounding like a sapphic sister there.  

Before I go, here's a card for this weeks Less Is More challenge
 a white on white christmas card
 

I used:
Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder
Memory box die
Glitter
Sentiment from a set gifted by lovely friend Sue.

Also linking to 
Christmas Card Challenges - Anything Goes
Keep It Simple - All is White
Magpie Monday
Have a great week one and all.
xx


20 comments:

  1. Blimey, that's a haul and a half! I love that tartan maxi and the label is fantastic. The red bag is gorgeous and that BEA bag should fetch a few quid, I sold a tatty one a few years ago on eBay and was surprised!
    My unwritten jumble sale rules state that all is fair in love and jumbles and there's no harm in snatching something fabulous out of a small child's hands if you want it more.
    Fantastic card. I still can't bring myself to part with mine! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to be awol lately Fiona but not enough hours in the day with my new job and the travel involved.
    As Vix said that's quite a haul at amazing prices and sounds like you niece had one too although don't mention Julien as seeing him on Strictly makes me cringe at his ott antics lol
    Fabulous card too.
    Hugs, Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds and all that.msuoervcard.
    Linby x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, ipad predictive text. Trying to say super card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!I am so jealous of all your bargains! I volunteer in Scope charity shop and I think £3.00 for a Jane Norman or Oasis top is good!
    Your card is a stunner...I love that little village and how the embossing looks a little like snow!
    Lizy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did well with your haul, the shoes look just about unworn!
    Your card is simply lovely!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, very nice jumble finds there, Fiona. Due to the three-day-late delivery of our local free newspaper, I missed out on a jumble sale on Saturday - the air turned somewhat blue with my swearing when I realised!! You can't beat a local scouts jumble for excellent bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good work at the jumble, Fiona - it's perfectly legitimate to mow down small children and old people in the search for treasure, that's the Jumble Law! That label is brilliant, isn't it - and look, more tartan, you are so "on-trend", it hurts! I like the look of the denim jacket (what was the problem with it?) and the red bag, and the loafers. Those flight bags are really popular with the trendy types, I reckon it would sell well.
    Beautifully elegant card - Christmas, eugh, no no no, don't want to think about it!
    PS. It all depends on the type of man; some are very good at taking an interest in clothes (Vix's Jon, Helga's G), and some are hopeless with power tools and garden maintenance (I have one of the latter, no use at all!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautifully serene card! Hope you've recovered after the birthday jollifications and lack of sleep but it appears the jumble sale woke you up nicely! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely card... love it's simplicity and this embossing folder is just something that would never go out of use.
    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love white on white! This is a wonderful card! TYFS and joining in with the fun at Christmas Card Challenges #45. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now THAT'S what I call a jumble haul!!

    Brilliant work and great snaffling!

    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never actually been to a proper jumble sale!
    Oh, mums jacket is actually the expensive Joules model. I have one though from The Factory shop for 20.00 and I love it! they are sooo warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. L.O.V.E. that 60's tartan skirt. Those old tags crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this die
    Thanks for joining us this week
    Jen x
    "Less Is More"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab bargains, Fiona - well done on a good afternoon's shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe how many great pieces you found!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the stripped skirt and bag, beautiful finds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the airline bag! What a cool find. We have an annual jumble sale here and it's not that great...
    My man has cut the grass about 5 times in 5 years so it's really not worth having one just for gardening help! All he does is bitch about where I plant things.

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line if you've time!