MIAM

MIAM

Thursday, 20 October 2016

Five on Friday - Pictures of Home


Not much of interest to report today.  Gallivanting around France so much recently has meant that things at home have suffered.  This week I've been playing catch-up and as a result have been quite productive.  I finally phoned Amazon about a refund for that order that never arrived, I organized the drain-down of my van in France, I phoned Scottish Power as instructed, regarding the installation of my Smart Meter (only to be answered by a machine that would not allow me to leave a message... yeah, helpful) and I made a start on the hedge!


A nice man with a chain-saw will finish off the job for me as it is now about 10 feet high.  The laurel hedge is in the garden of my neighbour, an elderly lady who recently moved to a care home, whilst the property is empty and with her family's agreement I am going to reduce the height of it by half as it blocks out so much sun in my garden on summer afternoons. Hacking away with the loppers has been a most satisfying feeling.

*****


Unpacking my winter wardrobe and putting away my summer clothes was also long overdue, another thing I tackled this week.  My out of season clobber gets stowed under the bed in this vintage suitcase, what do you do with yours?



*****

I noticed that my home was looking lacklustre and could do with a spruce up.  I'd like some new curtains but money's tight just now, a move around of the furniture would freshen up the place but my open plan ground floor does not lend itself easily to this.  Eventually I settled on decorating the mantelpiece and the sideboard in the hall with a few pine cones, a kilner jar filled with autumn berries and leaves and a few candles in jam jars...all of which cost me nowt.






I also painted this picture frame to tie in with the black theme going on in the hallway.





*****



Now the evenings are dark so early and I haven't been around enough to get into anything much on the telly, the crochet hook has been in use again making this floral ring.  I used an inexpensive plastic embroidery hoop, double crocheted around it and then attached the flowers and leaves.




I also made a pom-pom hedgehog in front of the telly the other night. 
Not sure he looks very hedgehoggy though, his snout is not quite right and the cute factor is definitely missing.



*****


My final chore before going back to work today was taking the garden rubbish and other crap to the tip, only to discover that it is now closed two days a week!  Yet another victim of cut-backs Britain.



 On that cheerful note I will leave you with some bangin' sounds from the 70's.  Enjoy your weekend.
Linking with Amy's Five On Friday 



24 comments:

  1. Don't you just love those weeks when you whizz through all those tasks you've been putting off for ages? You have been busy. I love the hedgehog and the Autumnal jar, the wreath is lovely and the frame looks so stylish painted black.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those tasks were long overdue, so it was great to clear the decks finally.

      Delete
  2. Seems you have been very productive of late. I've actually just my seasonal clothes swap. The out of season stuff is put into vacuum bags and stashed in a huge linen chest. I've just written a blog post on the whole process. Suitcases under the bed are a great idea though. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, you have been busy. I have swapped the wardrobe over this week too. Love your autumnal decorations and floral hoop. The hedgehog is cute, he looks like he is curled up to keep the chill out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like how you are bringing autumn colours into your homes, esp with the kilner jar filled with autumn berries and leaves. Have a lovely w/e

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on tackling those odd jobs that usually leave me exhausted before I start!
    I love the pretty floral wreath you created and the jars are perfect for a sweet seasonal touch!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The floral ring is very sweet. I'm glad you have a good agreement with the neighbors to cut back some of the shrubbery and get more light. I just shove my clothes back and forth in the closet between seasons. We don't have too drastic a change I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a very busy week. I love your hedgehog. It is very cute. I thought I was done with my summer clothes the other week then we had a warm snap and I had to drag out some capris again.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  8. With small things / decorations you make wonders at home. I like your mantelpiece and black hallway decorations. And I see there the yellow Citroen !!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are talking about closing our dump down complete the nearest one will then be a 40 min drive away. I fear not from me, that many will not bother and fly tipping will increase

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having the man with the chain saw come and cut that high laurel will make all the difference to the light in your garden. We have the same problem in the back garden on the other side of our hedge in our neighbour's garden, but on the other hand we see only bushes and trees and we're not overlooked. You have been busy doing some necessary chores, but it's also nice to make things for your home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our tip is closed 4 days a week now and yes fly tipping is on the increase. Love the simple but very effective Autumn décor such a lovely idea, I also loved the pom pom hedgehog, I might give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been very busy. I've been cleaning out slowly ... inside and out. I have some cutting back to do outside, but only when it is cool. Inside, I stop to play with the new kitty! Love that you recycled/repurposed your own items to make new looks. Love the wreath. Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the hedgehog, he looks very hoggy. Now that album brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your home-brightening ideas are lovely. I particularly like the floral wreath. I'm just not that clever - or patient.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You accomplished a fair bit! Simple and inexpensive ideas are often the most satisfying. Your crochet wreath is a work of art, and the autumnal jar gathers the season together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your jobs list sounds a bit tedious, just like mine. Today I need to ring the dentists who claim not to have seen me for some years and want to get rid of me. They must not have noticed my two appointments in the last month.
    I hope you get nice new neighbours. I've done the summer winter clothes thing for the first time this year, inspired by other bloggers. Feels good. I bought plastic storage boxes for under the bed. Your ideas for jazzing the place up are fab. I love those jars with berries in! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess I am anxious about new neighbours, whoever they might be. My previous neighbour was as quiet as a church mouse and I never had any problems with noise... always helpful when one is a shift worker.

      Delete
  17. I love everything, especially the jar of autumn.

    I think if you added some ears to that little hedgehog, it would look like the bust of a squirrel, then you'd easily have something new for next fall.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done on the foliage-lopping!!! I hope your new neighbours are ok. In my childhood home (which I lived in until 4 years ago), the lady who owned it always got the trees and ivy chopped but then she died and the relative who inherited didn't live there, turned it into bedsits and never cut anything! It was a nightmare!!!
    The hedgehog is CUTE don't be so mean to him!!! :-)x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love all your makes Fiona - SWEET hedgehog and very pretty floral ring. Lots of lovely touches around your home - you've been so creative and clever with it all too. Autumn jar is a super idea. Also enjoy a good shrub hack. Great way to let off steam :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Might have to borrow your jar idea full of berries and things next winter, looks so gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all of these creative ideas - may have to use some in my new apartment :)

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line if you've time!