MIAM

MIAM

Friday, 11 November 2016

Bake, Make and Quake!

It's been one of those uneventful weeks chez moi, but I feel happy that a few domestic jobs have finally been completed. The man with chainsaw has been and my hedge is now a shadow of its former self, paperwork has been attended to and a declutter commenced, I feel that I'm making headway.

   Last week I met a friend for lunch in East Grinstead and as I was early I managed to shoot into a few chazzas...it's been a while!  Unfortunately, although I saw a gorgeous vintage M&S mohair and wool jacket in mint condition, it had three quarter length sleeves which I don't like in coats so I left it on the rails.  I did find these pottery plates marked at 4 for £3...(there were 5) and I thought they'd be a welcome addition at the van in France, I also bought some £1 barbecue utensils.


Back at home I baked this Weight Watchers Tea Bread, it's become a firm favourite and is very quick to knock up with ingredients most of us have in the cupboard.


I also got back to my craft room. (does anyone even remember that this blog was formed to chronicle my papercraft creations? Over the years it's gone off topic somewhat, as I've been sidetracked by other interests.)   A while back I read a craft magazine featuring an article on air dried clay ornaments and thought I'd have a bash.  With the aid of a cookie cutter come printing set scored in a charity shop last year, I knocked up these rustic looking specimens.  I learned that the clay dries fast and wrinkles easily, so later attempts were kept moist with a few drops of water.  No doubt there are Youtube tutorials but impatient me just pressed on with it regardless.



I also made these easy wedge shaped gift boxes and filled them with truffles....


...and two boxes of mini greetings cards.

Both of the above are gifts for a couple of friends, the three of us meet a few times a year and it has become tradition to exchange small home made gifts as we are all of a crafty bent. We're off to the pub this lunchtime actually, no doubt we'll be discussing the big news..... I'm trying to remain hopeful, but that famous line from The Fly keeps entering my head. 


Wherever you are, enjoy your weekend.

10 comments:

  1. That coat sounded fantastic but, if you don't get on with three quarter sleeves, you did the right thing.
    I love the pottery plates and those dried clay ornaments are gorgeous. I love the clever box wrapping and your lovely cards, too and wouldn't say no to a slice of your tea bread (I'm going to give it a bash!)
    Have a great time in the pub. I'd like to be a fly on the wall (sorry, couldn't help myself!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coat was fab and would be so warm...but I can't be doing with 3/4 length sleeves in winter. x

      Delete
  2. I love those plates, and indeed I think they have a French "je ne sais quoi", so they'll be perfect for your holiday home. The dried clay ornaments are a lovely idea. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, I'm collecting quite a few things for the van in France at charity shops.

      Delete
  3. Now you mention it, I do remember that this blog was just for your crafty bits and bobs, but if I'm honest, I love that you expanded it to take in everything else as well. This way we get to know you better. Having said that I love the dried clay ornaments (bizarrely we are going to make them with our families at our annual Light Night rememberance evening). Top tip re keeping them wet, thank you. Look at that tea bread! Domestic Goddess alert! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say the nicest things Tania. Domestic Goddess...moi? Hahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy again! And crafty. Love your truffle boxes with the little clay tags, so pretty Fiona. Gorgeous cards too and like the sound of the tea bread.
    Perfect plates for France. Must be fun looking out for bits and bobs for your place xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and I keep looking at the gorgeous van interiors on Pinterest. xx

      Delete
  6. I do like a quiet week. You seem to have got a lot done. Love vans as well :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, your crafty makes are LOVELY!!!! I really love them! Shame about the 3 quarter-length jacket! I had a similar thing yesterday. My local charity shop had this amazing red collared swing coat that had its original pricetags of £149 on and it was my size BUUUUT, it had 3/4 length sleeves so I left it behind!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line if you've time!