MIAM

MIAM

Saturday, 18 February 2017

Back In The Game


After checking out Less Is More's current challenge this morning I scrolled back through my blog posts to discover it is no less than 14 months since I last entered.  Mojo was sadly lacking last year and although I did make a few cards, I think my mind was otherwise occupied, certainly in the latter part of the year, by all things French.  However, recently a friend of mine who co-leases a local gift shop asked if she could sell some of my cards there and this opportunity has re-awakened my creativity. 


I've made several cards similar to this for the gift shop, some with flowers and others with butterflies and I think this one fulfills the brief this week at LIM where the theme is Alphabet.  The butterfly was die-cut through several pages for a layered effect and the embossed words on the circular mat were distressed with an emery board.  I'm sure this idea was initially inspired by Pinterest or another website, so I'm not claiming the design was my own.

Butterfly die - Sissix
Scallop die - Spellbinders
Bazzill card stock
Cuttlebug embossing folder
Italian paperback book purchased at charity shop
Penny Black sentiment
All other items from my stash

I'm also linking up with
 Creative Inspirations - Anything Goes 
Stampin' Royalty - Dies


This renewed creative phase has also led to me picking up my crochet hook again.  I've been wondering what to do with the remainder of mum's yarn stash and after untangling a huge mess and rewinding into balls I decided to make another blanket for the local hospice where she died. 
 
 It's a crazy old colour scheme, but cheerful and as it's just a huge granny square there's no concentration required so I can crochet away while watching telly.


Prior to the blanket I whipped up a couple of face/dishcloths to stash bust some cotton yarn...honestly, it's in danger of taking over the sitting room!

Thanks to all of you who commiserated on my recent speeding offence.  I am pleased to report that I have got away with attending a Drivers Awareness Course instead of receiving a penalty, unfortunately it's in Dorset, as I live in Sussex but hey it's still better than three points on my licence.   

Hope the sun is shining wherever you are this weekend.

21 comments:

  1. That card is absolutely beautiful - aren't you clever!

    I think the granny blanket for the hospice is a great idea and how lovely you have your mum's yarn stash. I'm just at the stage of sewing the ends in of my blanket for 'Knit for Peace' then I'll make a border for it. My next project is a 'Lazy Waves' blanket for the same organisation but using lots of colours.

    Did you have to pay for refreshments on your Driver Awareness course? I did and thought it was a bloody cheek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica! I haven't done the Driver Awareness yet, it's next month but the blurb that came from the police said that tea and coffee were free and snacks are 'available'. Yeah it's a good little earner isn't it!

      Delete
  2. I'm envious of your ability to crochet, I can't knit or crochet and it is very frustrating! I'm sure your mum would be pleased you have put her yarn stash to good use. Gorgeous card too, it must have been nice to sit down and revisit an old skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous card - fantastic texture and a beautiful neutral colour palette that combine to give a very tranquil feel. How great to have the opportunity to sell in a gift shop - best of luck with it! I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and I think making another blanket for the hospice is a lovely idea. Hope the DA course goes well! Thanks for playing along with us at Less is More :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful card and so effective in the colours you have used. The blanket is lovely and cheerful and I'm sure will be much appreciated. It makes it more special that is made from your mother's yarn. Good luck with the course and take care on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent use for your Mum's wool stash! Your crochet creations are fabulously cheery. I wish I could master it. Pom poms are about my limit when it comes to wool!
    Gorgeous card. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an excellent use for your Mum's wool stash! Your crochet creations are fabulously cheery. I wish I could master it. Pom poms are about my limit when it comes to wool!
    Gorgeous card. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your talents you could easily master it! Have a look at a Youtube tutorial if you're serious. If I can do it, anyone can!

      Delete
  7. Love the card, Fiona. What a wonderful idea that layered butterfly is! Crocheting that blanket for the local hospice is such a nice thought, too, and a great way to use up your Mum's wool. Maybe I should have a look at that Youtube tutorial too ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ann! Yes have a look, honestly it's not difficult...much easier than knitting, I think. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh that's good news about selling your cards. Loving the crochet blanket - crocheting and knitting are both beyond me!
    I am still here, just struggling with mojo issues of my own... But it's good to check in and see what you've been up to! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The card is lovely, and congratulations on having the opportunity to sell them! It's nice when the creative mojo is flowing and you also get paid for it. The blanket is so cheerful. I've thought about doing some crocheting again (after many years), and you're inspiring me to buy some yarn and get started.

    Speeding offence - oh, no! In 2015 my husband got stopped for speeding and had to pay a fine of over $200, then later in the year the same thing happened to me! No points on our licences, fortunately, but a bit expensive - and humiliating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great design. Terrific way to use the embossing folder...gotta try that. Your crocheting is lovely! Thanks for sharing at Less is More!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful card! So there is a creative side in your personality! I am not very good at crocheting but love it! Just a few things are as relaxing as doing something that doesn' t require too much concentration while watching TV ...

    Loosing a dear person is dreadful. I think that your mum would be happy to know about your project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan! I'm not very good either but I like to make things now and again. This is the third blanket I have made for the hospice, they like to make it look more like home than hospital and have lots of homemade quilts and blankets. Mum has been gone nearly six years years now and I still miss her very much.

      Delete
  13. Lovely creation. Thanks for joining us at Creative Inspirations this fortnight. CraftyNatalie ; DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely makes, Fiona. 'All things French' is a wonderful way to occupy one's mind, IMO.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad the shop has got you creating again, this is a lovely card. I love the colour tones, and great layout and textures too.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really glad to see you're back on the cards! You're so good at them Fiona. Love the bright cheery blanket too, such a thoughtful way to make use of your Mum's wool. Makes me want to get my crochet hook out again. And I've also got a ridiculous amount of yarn! Best of luck with the course xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey! Yes find that hook and crack on.

      Delete
  17. Your creativity shines brightly in so many ways...lovely card and colorful afghans.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line if you've time!